Sunday, December 15, 2013

It's been over 20 years...


Today would have been my dad's 64th birthday. Due to the lung cancer from second-hand smoke, which metastasized to his bone before we detected anything, he only made it to 43.

While it has been over 20 years and I've lived more of my life without him than with, his legacy of faith, generosity, integrity, wisdom, determination, work ethic and goofiness looms large in my life. It goes without saying that digging through these photos brought about a lot of memories … laughter, tears, music, outings, conversations, challenges.

I think of what a trooper he was to go through chemo before the improved anti-nausea drugs today. I think of how he choked down the distasteful, pungent, murky chinese medicine concoctions in an effort to extend whatever time he had left with us despite the poor prognosis. I remember how tired and ill he felt, yet he always made the effort to perk up and embrace us when we were with him. I think of how he tried to pass on a lifetime's worth of wisdom and advice in a few short months.

When my family found out cancer was forcing its way into our lives again, it was tough on my mom and brother, especially with them being so far away. Thankfully, by the grace of God, my prognosis is good and the cancer was caught early. And I think my mom and brother were both able leave a bit more at ease seeing how I was responding to treatment. I do fervently pray that cancer does not have to rear its ugly head again in my family or the lives of those I love. Not that I would wish cancer upon my worst enemy.

My dad did not get to walk with me through as much of my life as I would have liked, but he lived life fully in Christ. He centred his life and the life of his family on the radical and amazing love of Christ. I miss my dad a lot today. However, as the Christmas season I love so much reminds me, the gift of Christ's birth over 2000 years ago gave me something I have in common with my dad that death cannot take away. And in time, Christ will reunite us again.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me - the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7-8



Uncle Moses, Grandma, me, Mom, Dad, Adrian

Aunt Gina, me, Dad, Adrian

Dad & Mom

A break from the hospital













4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this special part of your life with us. You encourage us through your attitude and faith. The Lord is using you to bless so many through your challenge but in Him we walk together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rick for your continued prayers and support! Maggie says "hi" :)

      Delete
  2. Mel, I loved reading this post about your dad! Despite the fact that I never had the chance to meet your daddy, I feel as though I know him through you. His legacy of generosity, faith, integrity and goofiness truly lives through you and Nolan! I know that he's so proud of you, Mel!! You exemplify Christ in all your actions and I am often amazed at your unwavering faith. God has used you in so many ways to teach me about His sovereign plan. My dear friend, hang in there, round 3 is almost done! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you izzy - thanks for always supporting us and coming by here to check in. I'd like to think we all try to carry on the good traits of our parents, whether they're around or not. Just like you - I'm sure a lot of what was good about your dad is carried on today thru you and your siblings...

      Delete